Yoga has been something that I have been trying to get more and more into over the past month. After moving to San Diego, I find myself noticing the Yoga community more and more. I thought to myself, “What’s up with everyone here doing yoga?” until i tried it myself. I’m no where near a pro, in fact, I am probably the most inflexible person in the world, but it is something that I am working on. For those who are or have been looking into yoga, let me tell you that it is an awesome tool to transform your body through physical, mental, and even spiritual (if you’re into that) disciplines.
The term yoga comes from the literal meaning of “yoking together”, which is a paramount meaning for what we are going for here at mindlify. We want to encourage the “yoking together” of the mind, body, and soul through practices that help encourage you to achieve eternal happiness, which is why I want to share 7 basic yoga poses that you can try at home to see if you are interested in pursuing yoga further.
Here are 7 Basic Yoga poses:
1. Mountain Pose – Stand tall with feet together, shoulders relaxed, weight evenly distributed through your soles, arms at side. Take a deep breath and raise your hands overhead, palms facing each other with arms straight. Reach up toward the sky with your fingertips.
2. Downward Dog – Start on all fours with hands directly under shoulders, knees under hips. Walk hands a few inches forward and spread fingers wide, pressing palms into mat. Curl toes under and slowly press hips toward ceiling, bringing your body into an inverted V, pressing shoulders away from ears. Feet should be hip-width apart, knees slighly bent. Hold for 3 full breaths.
3. Warrior Pose – Stand with legs 3-4 feet apart, turning right foot out 90 degrees and left foot in slightly. Bring your hands to your hips and relax your shoulders, then extend arms out to the sides, palms down. Bend right knee 90 degrees, keeping knee over ankle; gaze out over right hand. Stay for 1 minute then switch sides and repeat.
4. Tree Pose – Stand with arms at sides. Shift weight onto left leg and place sole of right food inside left thigh, keeping hips facing forward. Once balanced, bring hands in front of you in prayer position, palms together. On an inhalation, extend arms over shoulders, palms separated and facing each another. Stay for 30 seconds. Lower and repeat on opposite side.
5. Bridge Pose – Lie on floor with knees bent and directly over heels. Place arms at sides, palms down. Exhale, then press feet into floor as you lift hips. Clasp hands under lower back and press arms down, lifting hips until thighs are parallel to floor bringing chest toward chin. Hold for 1 minute. (Tip: you can place a stack of pillows underneath your tailbone)
6. Seated Twist Pose – Sit on floor with your legs extended. Cross right foot over outside of left thigh; bend left knee. Keep right knee pointed toward ceiling. Place left elbow to the outside of right knee and right hand on the floor behind you. Twist right as far as you can, moving from your abdomen; keep both sides of your butt on the floor. Stay for 1 minute. Switch sides and repeat.
7. Cobra Pose – Lie facedown on the floor with thumbs directly under shoulders, legs extended with the tops of your feet on the floor. Tighten your pelvic floor, and tuck hips downward as you squeeze your glutes. Press shoulders down and away from ears. Push through your thumbs and index fingers as you raise your chest toward the wall in front of you. Relax and repeat.
These are some basic yoga poses for you to try at home before you spend time and money on enrolling in classes. I personally find yoga to be a great way to relax and escape from the norm while challenging your body and taking it to another level of self-satisfaction.
Don’t forget to SHARE this articles with others whom might be interested in yoga poses for beginners!